Updated: May 1, 2019
Happy New Year! Here's a glimpse of what we have done in 2018 and a peek at 2019.
Since our inception in late 2015, Women In Energy Canada now stands at 321 members.
2018 was a great year for WIECan - we officially launched the WIECan website and our mentorship program as well as brought you a number of terrific events.
· Launched in January, the WIECan website describes WIECan’s mission, leadership team and events and initiatives. We would like to thank National Bank of Canada and Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP for bringing our website to life and for keeping it up to date‼ We encourage all WIECan members to check it out‼
· WIECan’s mentorship program also made its debut in 2018. To date, we have matched eight WIECan members with mentors (Sarah Gingrich, Rob Nicholson, Kim Seong, Beata Swist, Karen Taylor, Lisa DeMarco, Karen Taylor and April Meyer). We offer our sincere gratitude to these mentors for their willingness to devote their time and efforts to this program.
· Portlands Energy Centre Site Visit and Networking Event in February. Our participating members attended a site visit of Portlands Energy Centre, led by General Manager, Kevin Dick followed by a reception at Bravi Ristorante. This site visit (made possible by the efforts of Nicolle Butcher (OPG)) and reception (hosted by Baker & McKenzie) was truly enjoyed by all participants!
· Lunch and Learns: On March 2, 2018, we had a lunch and learn session on the progress of the electrification of transport with guest speakers Heather Ferguson, Vice-President, Environment, Ontario Power Generation; Cara Clairman, President & CEO of Plug‘n Drive; and Cathy Cobey, Partner of Advisory Services at Ernst & Young LLP.
· On June 8, 2018, we had another lunch and learn session on Energy Innovation hosted by RBC with guest speakers Kathleen Kauth, Director of Partnerships at Advanced Energy Centre at MaRS; and Malini Giridhar, Vice-President of Market Development, Regulatory & Public Affairs at Enbridge Gas Distribution Inc.
The Lunch and Learns were well attended and a thank you to all our guest speakers for making them such memorable sessions!
· Networking Events: Our summer social networking event was held in June and was hosted by Fasken at their offices while our winter social networking event was held in November and was hosted by McCarthy Tétrault at their offices.
We have a number of exciting events planned for 2019 including site visits, the continuation of our lunch and learn series, panel discussions and social networking events. Please stay tuned‼
Our events are made possible through the sponsorship of members and their firms. A big thank you to all of our 2018 sponsors, notably Fasken Martineau, McCarthy Tétrault, RBC Capital Markets, National Bank and Baker & McKenzie.
The WIECan Steering Committee values your membership and we welcome your ideas on how WIECan can continue to grow and further its mission. Suggestions or interest in sponsorship can be sent by email to Lynn Parsons (firstname.lastname@example.org), Suzanne Murphy (email@example.com), Ella Plotkin (firstname.lastname@example.org), Rayna Narayansingh (email@example.com) or Mary Hemmingsen (Mary.firstname.lastname@example.org).
Thank you for all of your support in 2018 and we look forward to seeing you in 2019!